Tips: What type of Field to Create?
If you are wondering what type of field to create for your application form (Custom Field, Qualification, General Interest), here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Do I need to be able to enter specific text into the field? –> Custom Field
- Do I need to make a value mandatory (required) when new volunteers fill in an application? –> Custom Field or Qualification
- Do I need this field to be a prerequisite or essential skill for performing an Activity? –> Qualification
- Do I need this field to determine whether or not an Activity is visible to a volunteer? –> Qualification
- Does this skill or certification have an expiration date associated with it? –> Qualification
- Is this something that I want to display as a series of checkboxes to prospective volunteers so that they can indicate their general areas of interest? –> General Interest
The following table should also help you in deciding whether or not to create a Custom Field, Qualification or General Interest.[table “2” not found /]
NOTE:Remember that you can see what your application form would look like to your applicant volunteers by going to: Configuration >> Organization Settings >> Application Form Settings. Click on the [Interactive Sample Form] button for any of your application forms to see the preview. As you browse through each part of the application form preview, note that any data you enter is not saved.